Did you know that not all the ingredients in household cleaners are listed on the label? When we have done some further internet research on the full list of ingredients in the products we were using we were not happy with what we discovered.
For example the particular brand of dishwashing tablets we were using contained, among other harmful chemicals, one or more alcohol ethoxylates (though it still didn’t state which chemicals in this group were actually in the product). This is a group of chemicals which are known carcinogens and hormone disruptors – no thanks!
At first we simply replaced using dishwasher tablets with adding a capful of Thieves household cleaner to our dishwasher instead. This worked great but meant we were using up our cleaner too quickly, so I found this recipe through someone in our Young Living community and thought we’d give it a try.
- 1 cup of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1/4 cup of citric acid
- 1-2 teaspoons of Thieves Household Cleaner
- 5 drops ingestible Lemon Essential oil (optional)
- Mixing bowl
- Ice cube tray
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of Thieves Household cleaner to large mixing bowl
- Add Lemon essential oil if using
- Add the bicarb, citric acid and salt
- Mix well
- Add more Thieves Cleaner, 1/2 teaspoon at a time until the mixture just holds together. See photo below.
- If it still doesn’t hold together when you squeeze it in your hand, add 1 teaspoon* of water and mix again.*Be careful not to add too much water as it will start foaming up.
- Spoon into an ice cube tray and use your thumb to tightly pack the mixture into the tray
- Leave to dry overnight
- Turn out your tablets and store in an airtight container
Leave us a comment and let us know what you think! Click here to get your Young Living wholesale account (24% off retail prices for life, plus many more benefits)